Sunday, 16 January 2011

Page 15 The Day I Was Discharged From Poole NHS Trust Hospital

Alan was trying to hold down his job, visit me in hospital, do the washing and shopping etc.. All on a bike on his own, it wasn’t easy! 


Especially given the fact he was still in shock at what had happened and we now had only one income instead of two, and a huge mortgage! 

The state of the nation! Britain was still in recession too, and people were being made redundant at Flight Refuelling Ltd, on a six monthly basis.

Dave Clemas, Alan’s boss at FR HiTemp, a subdivision of this firm, told him that he could not go off sick or have compassionate leave due to my accident and that he would have to use up all of his holiday entitlement first! 

We now know that this was illegal, but Alan was completely incapable of understanding or even wanting to know anything about this at the time! So yes, another case of big business kicking the little man when he’s down.

I woke up on my last day at Poole General Hospital, not knowing I was about to be Negligently discharged.

Nurse Grumpy knew though and told Maurice the male nurse to take me up to another ward to visit a patient who had come back in. This was only my second outing in a wheelchair.  The first being when they engineered a situation where we would pick up a Lester Aldridge Leaflet.

This girl had previously been in a bed opposite me, and was also a member of staff.  I don’t know why she was in hospital in the first place, but whilst there she kept ‘fitting’.  It only ever happened when she went to the ‘Ladies Bathroom’.  Suddenly an alarm would go off and the nurses would go rushing in to the ‘wee room’.  Afterwards she would be brought back and put in her bed with the curtains drawn.  

When my husband started toileting me he noticed a ‘flickering light’ and reported it to the nurses as a possible cause of the girls ‘fitting’.  She was soon after discharged with drugs for epilepsy.  

Prior to this, she had daily visits from the Neurologist or Psychologist. 

Whoever he was, I think he and the nursing staff had all thought it was psychological. 

Well, she had now been brought back in and put up on the Neurological Ward, presumably where there were no flashing lights.  

She told me she had poisoning from the epilepsy drug, as they had not given her the correct dose, or her body had not been clearing the drugs.

I was then called back to the ward.

I was only gone about 20 minutes, but when I was taken back, ‘Old Grumpy’ told me that Dr Vinod K Panchbhavi, whom I had not seen in days, had discharged me in my absence. 
I only now realise that Dr Panchbhavi had probably not even been on the ward, the whole situation was engineered by the Dr, nurse & Poole Hospital.  

I would be going home later that day. 

After being negligent in my care, & possibly causing or contributing to my syrinx, Poole NHS Trust Hospital were deliberately discharging me with a broken neck, back, badly broken coccyx as well as a Syrinx a Severe Brain Injury and a Deviated Septum with Dural Tears. Purely to protect themselves from a ‘possible’ Negligence Claim.  They discharged me home to a ‘two up two down’, knowing I could die. Knowing I was unable to get up and downstairs & knowing I had no carers, wheelchair, nothing.

The other nurses were furious I had been discharged and told Alan when he came to see me that I shouldn’t be going home yet. They desperately warned Alan to Insist I was seen by a Neurologist before I left the hospital.
Alan asked ‘Grumpy’ again about me seeing a Neurologist and again nothing.
There was no ‘at home’ care arranged for me. No one had even asked my husband if he could manage.

Alan borrowed his mum’s car to take me home, there was no help from the hospital. 

When he came back to collect me in a wheelchair, he got trapped in the hospital lift which broke down. Some people would say the lift had been switched off with Alan in it, while the hospital played for time while they checked some legal point, maybe so.

Alan took me in a wheelchair to his mum’s car, at the front entrance.

I was very frightened in the car, and could barely breathe.  But, I tried not to panic and we got home.

When I got home everything seemed strange, for instance, I couldn’t remember the Kenwood stereo system and never re-learned how to use it. 

Alan cooked tea and then realised that he couldn’t get me upstairs.  It took some hours of trying to work this out. After a while he worked out that he could sit me gently on the bottom stair, then go round behind me.   He then lifted me, under my arms, up one stair at a time.  We got to the top, then he had to work out how to stand me up!  He then lifted me straight up, under my arms until I was standing.  Now bear in mind how dangerous a situation this was, as I had a completely unstable spine and knee, and we were at the top of the stairs.  He would then quickly turn me to the bedroom door and put himself between me and the stairs.  Alan then washed and dried me and brushed my teeth, put my huge tresses of curly hair up, so that it did not catch on my fixators and ‘k’ wires and undressed me.  

Then when he had put me in bed, and put pillows for my arms to rest on, he realised he had nowhere to sleep.  So he phoned his mum, as it was now ten o’clock at night, and arranged to go and borrow a mattress.  He now had to drive to his mum’s house, get a single mattress from her spare room, get it downstairs, out the door and into her car on his own.  He then had to drive back to our house and repeat the process in reverse. Then take her car back and bring his bike home.  Just so he could go to bed.

He didn’t know that he should have told the hospital I was in no state to be coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment