Thursday, 5 August 2010

Page 1 - The Day of My Accident

On April 1st 1995 I was riding my FZX 750 Fazer, the old type, looked a bit like a baby V Max, along the Wessex Way in Bournemouth.  I was going to a bike show at The Village in Southampton, on the waterfront.

We passed a red car parked on the slip way onto the Wessex Way by the Fire Station at Springbourne.
The driver was leaning over the passenger seat doing something.  We now think he was snorting Cocaine.  My husband and I continued onto the Wessex Way and thought no more of this. 

We were a good way behind a van doing about 50 mph for a while, when my husband pulled out after checking it was clear, and started to overtake the van. I checked my mirrors, looked over my shoulder and did the same.

We were now in the outside lane, Alan had passed and I was coming up to the rear wheels of the van. On checking my mirrors I saw a red car a few hundred yards back.  When I looked again a few seconds later, there was a car right behind me, I didn’t even think it could be the same car.  The driver was looking in his passenger door mirror instead of where he was going.

It’s quite boring on Dual Carriageways and Motorways, so you tend to look in your mirrors all the time, much more often than a car driver does. 

At this stage I thought “Oh Assholes”, reached for my horn button, and tried to move as far to the left as I could without going under the wheels of the van.  There really is nothing worse than being caused to have an accident by some crappy driver who then leaves the scene unpunished in law and completely oblivious to what he has done.

At this point the car must have hit me, as I don't remember anything else.

I've only managed to work out what happened from what my husband told me, the state of my Fazer, the injuries I sustained, and the witness statements.  As well as how the bike would have behaved in such a crash.

So here goes:  The car hit me all along the right side of my body and bike from behind.

My left foot was wedged between the foot peg and gear lever, so when I was hit, the force dislocated my hip and knee, causing tearing to my left foot, as it ripped free and I went up in the air.

My saddle was ‘stepped’, as well as having a grab bar across the back.  Because of the way you sit on a bike, the impact caused my body to shoot backwards, with the base of my spine hitting the bike lock, and grab rail. This caused a massive impact to the base of my spine up through my thoracic spine,  my cervical spine and on to my brain. 

The handlebars shot violently from side to side, shearing off the stop points on the fork yoke and burying my hands into the top of the air box cover.  This is where the tank is on a traditional bike.  This caused tremendous forces and tearing up through my shoulders into my neck.

I became unconscious at this point, but was still holding onto the handlebars, with my feet way up above my head.

The bike thrashed violently from side to side, causing a violent tank slapper. I then hit the ground along with my bike.  The first impact was on the right side of my head and neck.

I then tumbled with my head repeatedly hitting the tarmac and twisting my body, as my helmet’s chin piece and then my leather jacket grabbed the road.

I lay in the road unconscious

My waterproof trousers were shredded in a circular motion all up the legs and hips with holes melted in them.

My leather jacket had holes ripped in the arms and the surface removed from the chest and back.

My boots were ripped open at the toes and heels, and something went through my right boot into my ankle.

My helmet had huge scuffs from each time my head had hit the ground and been ripped round. Predominantly to the right side.  It was the latest racing standard but had still lost most of it’s skin.   When cut in half there were huge dents in the polystyrene interior.  I donated it to the local motorcycle riding school to show the damage caused to the head even by the best crash helmets.

No comments:

Post a Comment